Volunteering is as Easy as 1-2-3!
1. Getting Started: Fill out the Volunteer Now form or contact us at our office, 716.434.1855 to express your interest in becoming a Volunteer. Opportunities include: Mentor, office work, buildings/grounds, or volunteering for special events.
- Background Checks for Mentors: Department of Motor Vehicles, Criminal Background, Sexual Offender Registry, and call character references (all volunteers).
- Home Interview for Mentors: A staff member will come to your home to get to know you and your preferences for a match (approximately one hour).
- Group Training for Mentors: All the things you might need to know while volunteering as a Mentor (2-3 hours)
3. Matching for Mentors: We send a list of potential Mentees for your review. Then we set up a time for you to meet the Mentee, his/her parent/guardian and a staff member at the office to officially start your match
Spending time with your Mentee
Community based matches are flexible to accommodate your schedule and interests. Suggested time 2-4 hours. Pick up your Mentee for an afternoon at the park, a museum, to see a movie or just talk. We support your match friendship. Staff is always ready to answer any questions, and provide insight. We want to hear from you to see how your match is going, and can relieve concerns through our extensive experience. Plus, through the generosity of area businesses and members of the community, there are often tickets to theatre and sporting events at no cost, or discounts for various local restaurants/ activities, and much more.