Enjoy Nature This Fall
Exploring nature’s beauty is a great way to experience this colorful season and enjoy the outdoors before cold weather sets in. A walk in the woods, fields, or the park can give your Mentee a chance to witness the changing landscape up close.
You don’t need anything special for an afternoon outing–just jackets and snacks, or maybe some hot apple cider. Your Mentee might enjoy bringing along a notebook and crayons for recording observations and making leaf rubbings, and small paper bags for storing treasures found along the path. Once home, Mentees can use the special materials they collected for fun autumn crafts.
How to make Leaf Rubbings:
1. Collect fall leaves of all shapes and sizes as you explore nature.
2. On a piece of plain white paper, position leaves vein side up in any pattern you choose.
3. Lay another sheet of plain white paper over the top of the leaves.
4. Select the crayons that you would like to use to create your rubbing and peel off the paper wrappers.
5. Turn a crayon on its side and gently rub over the top sheet of paper.
6. The leaf images will magically appear on the paper! Experiment with different crayon colors and leaves.